Bishop and Chapter
"Bishop and Chapter" refers to the official governing body of the Cathedral.
Chaired by the Bishop, the Chapter consists of the Dean, the four Archdeacons,
the Canons Residentiary, up to fifteen lay members elected annually by the
Cathedral Congregation, up to ten lay members appointed annually by
the Bishop and one lay member elected at each regular session of
the Diocesan Synod of Fredericton.
A Brief History
The Chapter of Christ Church Cathedral was not formed until the office of
Dean was occupied in 1895, and was incorporated by the Legislature in 1898.
It is the official governing body of the Cathedral under the jurisdiction
of Canon Law and the Bishops chairs its meetings. The Bishop, as head of
the Chapter, had the authority and the obligation to choose any special
speakers, celebrate Holy Communion in the Cathedral at Christmas, Easter,
Ascension Day, Whitsunday and the Dedication Festival and be free to
preach at the Cathedral. The Chapter originally consisted of the Bishop,
the Dean, four laymen and six canons, two of whom would be the
Archdeacon of Saint John and the Archdeacon of Fredericton.
The Cathedral Chapter had changed its structure little by 1981,
being then made up of the Bishop, the Dean, the four Archdeacons,
the Canons, two members of the laity elected by
the Cathedral congregation and one lay person elected by the Synod.
This arrangement was found to be unsatisfactory since the members came
from all over the province and met only once a year.
The day-to-day functions of running the Cathedral were delegated
to the "Sidesmen", a body of laymen from the Cathedral congregation,
chaired by the Dean. The Sidesmen, however, were hampered by certain restrictions.
According to provincial legislation the Cathedral Chapter was the only
body which could invest funds or make organizational changes.
There was a need for a body of local members to be organized who
could meet more regularly, who would know the problems and situations
which arose at the Cathedral and who could respond accordingly.
For these reasons the Cathedral Chapter was reorganized in 1981 to
take its present form. Medley's Cathedral, while still belonging to
the Bishop of Fredericton, is now more effectively governed by its
Dean and its own congregation.